Pendleton College AS/A2 Physics Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special Relativity Equations

2 posters

Go down

Special Relativity Equations Empty Special Relativity Equations

Post  TomWightman Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:18 am

Does anyone know what each letter applies for, turns out I've written them down wrong.

Like which situation applies to t, t0, l, l0

TomWightman

Back to top Go down

Special Relativity Equations Empty Re: Special Relativity Equations

Post  Joseph Wardley Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 am

Look at my speshal reltivity cheat on speshal relativity hyperlink in unit 5 optional topic
Joseph Wardley
Joseph Wardley

Back to top Go down

Post  TomWightman Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:22 am

Joseph Wardley wrote:Look at my speshal reltivity cheat on speshal relativity hyperlink in unit 5 optional topic

thanks will do

TomWightman

Back to top Go down

Post  TomWightman Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 am

So for length:

l0 = Distance between 2 planets, Distance between 2 detectors as experienced by the particles

l= Distance between 2 detectors in a lab, distance travelled between 2 planets as experienced by the spacecraft

Is this right? I'm going off past paper questions and what they use as well as note that was given in the past.

TomWightman

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Wardley Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:10 am

TomWightman wrote:So for length:

l0 = Distance between 2 planets, Distance between 2 detectors as experienced by the particles

l= Distance between 2 detectors in a lab, distance travelled between 2 planets as experienced by the spacecraft

Is this right? I'm going off past paper questions and what they use as well as note that was given in the past.

your over complicating it you just need to know which one is moving faster and which one is standing still (in relative terms) so the observer is still and the space craft is moving usaly
then just uses the first law of if you move faster your
time decreaces
mass increaces
length decreaces

so now you now know what it means to go faster and its effects on time mass and length

once you know this you then minipulate the equation inside the bracket to fit the model
thus if the observer is standing still you want the decimal on a side of the equation that would allow for the three of the obove thing to become true.
Joseph Wardley
Joseph Wardley

Back to top Go down

Post  TomWightman Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 am

Right I'm probably not understanding this at all but from what you're saying if you observe the distance protons travel from one detector to another in the frame of reference of the protons since they're travelling faster than someone stood still observing the protons, they will travel a decreased length. Like in this question:

2. In a particle beam experiment, a pulsed beam of protons at a speed of 1.00 × 108 m s–1 passed through a stationary detector in a time of 15.0 ns.

(a) Calculate the length of the pulsed beam in
(i) the frame of reference of the detector,

(ii) the frame of reference of the protons.

ai is fine, but aii's answer says the length increases.

TomWightman

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Wardley Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 am

TomWightman wrote:Right I'm probably not understanding this at all but from what you're saying if you observe the distance protons travel from one detector to another in the frame of reference of the protons since they're travelling faster than someone stood still observing the protons, they will travel a decreased length. Like in this question:

2. In a particle beam experiment, a pulsed beam of protons at a speed of 1.00 × 108 m s–1 passed through a stationary detector in a time of 15.0 ns.

you are right in part ai but in part aii then the protons or the beam it's self is the one that thinks it is standing still
thus the outside seems to shrink as it is moving faster
you can also say in relitivistic term that you have gotten bigger and the length of the pulsed beam has increaced

I think that is it anyway...
Joseph Wardley
Joseph Wardley

Back to top Go down

Post  TomWightman Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:01 am

Joseph Wardley wrote:
TomWightman wrote:Right I'm probably not understanding this at all but from what you're saying if you observe the distance protons travel from one detector to another in the frame of reference of the protons since they're travelling faster than someone stood still observing the protons, they will travel a decreased length. Like in this question:

you are right in part ai but in part aii then the protons or the beam it's self is the one that thinks it is standing still
you can also say in relitivistic term that you have gotten bigger and the length of the pulsed beam has increaced

This is why I don't like special relativity. I sort of get it now thanks but it still makes no sense.

TomWightman

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Wardley Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 am

TomWightman wrote:
Joseph Wardley wrote:

This is why I don't like special relativity. I sort of get it now thanks but it still makes no sense.

Einstein was one smart cookie :)
Joseph Wardley
Joseph Wardley

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Wardley Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 am

look at the vidio that was on in class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev9zrt__lec

infact watch it twice

once your exams are done i'll give ya a realy mind boggeler about the 10 demensions
Joseph Wardley
Joseph Wardley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down